Friday, December 24, 2010

Cowboy Cookies


I'm on a tight budget this year so I made these cowboy cookies as Christmas gifts for my co-workers. My sister made these last year for her friends and I thought it was such a cute idea. Bakerella had this recipe for cowgirl cookies. I had most of the ingredients at home so all I really had to buy were Christmas M&M's, chocolate chips, and walnut pieces.

Cowboy Cookies

You'll need:
1 quart Mason jar
Dry ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup & leveled
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup cooking oats
  • 3/4 cup m&ms
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts)

Method:
Layer the ingredients in the following order:
1st - Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt
2nd - Oats
3rd - M&M's
4th - Semi-sweet chocolate chips
5th - Brown Sugar
6th - White Sugar
7th - Chopped nuts

Pack everything down tightly or it won't fit.  Seal the jar with the lid and tie a ribbon around it to make it pretty.  

Include these directions with your gift: 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Empty all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together.  Add 1 slightly bean egg, 1/2 cup melted butter, and 1 tsp vanilla.  Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.  Use the back of a large spoon to work it all together.  Use hands to get everything incorporated if necessary.  Then roll the cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.  Makes 26-28 cookies.


1 comment:

  1. cute! I think I may have to try this for 2011 xmas season!!!!

    ReplyDelete