Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Steel-Cut Oatmeal


It's almost summer and it still feels like early Spring here in the Pacific Northwest.  How lucky are we?  Well, at least I can still eat hot cereal for breakfast thanks to our stubborn weather.  Winter is such a great time to enjoy a nice bowl of hot steaming bowl of oatmeal in the mornings.  I've never really appreciated oatmeal until last year.  I tried many varieties from the old-fashioned to instant oatmeal.  Of course, instant is the least healthiest because of the added sugars and preservatives that come in those convenient little packets.  I even tried to recreate McDonald's Fruit & Maple Oatmeal but my imitation has never come close to anything like it.  Then I discovered steel-cut oats.  It takes a little longer to prepare but it is totally worth the wait.  I usually cook up a batch on Sunday mornings so I can eat it throughout the week.  I just add a splash of milk to heat it up in the microwave.  My favorite combination are bananas and walnuts or dried cranberries and sliced almonds.  The combination of fruits and nuts tastes so good with oatmeal!  Of course, I kick it up with a bit of maple syrup or agave nectar to give it just enough sweetness.

Basics of cooking steel-cut oatmeal:
3-4 cups water (depending on how thick you want your oatmeal)
1 cup steel-cut oats

Bring the water to a boil and stir in the oats. Let the water and oats come back to a boil then reduce to medium-low heat. Let the oats simmer with the lid slightly ajar, stirring frequently so the oats doesn't stick to the bottom.  This will take 20-30 minutes depending on how chewy or soft you like your oatmeal.  Remove from heat and divide portions into individual bowls. Stir in your favorite toppings like milk, sweeteners, nuts, and fruits.  Makes about 4-6 servings.

Here's a tip - buy bulk and you'll save a ton of money because you can buy as little or as much as you like.  My local Wholefoods sells it for just $1.19/lb!

No comments:

Post a Comment