Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Simple Pizza Dough Recipe


I made a pretty darn healthy pizza last week. Can something like pizza even be healthy you ask?  It is to me if you are making the dough from scratch using whole wheat flour and topping it off with choke vegetables like tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, onions, and olives. Oh yeah, I also used the cilantro pesto I kept in the freezer from the batch I made in my previous post.

We enjoy making our own pizza at home because you get to customize it the way you want.  We even do pizza potlucks with my family to see what creations other people come up with. I've tried many pizza dough recipes and this one is foolproof. This recipe uses a KitchenAid stand mixer but since I don't have one I just kneaded it by hand and it turned out just fine.

The Best Pizza Dough
From Eat, Live, Run

Makes 2 large pizza doughs

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/3 cup warm water
1 packet yeast
1.5 tsp sea salt

Method:

In a mixing bowl, combine the warm water and yeast.

Stir in the salt and flour and mix on medium high speed on your KitchenAid for 5 minutes. While the mixer is going, drizzle in the olive oil.

When the dough is soft and elastic, take out of the bowl, rub with olive oil and then place back in the bowl, cover with a dish towel and let rise for one hour.

After the dough has doubled in size, cut in half to make two large pizza doughs or make mini doughs. You can also freeze whatever dough you're not using in a freezer bag for another time. When you are ready for your pizza, roll out the dough, cover with your toppings and bake at 425F for 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment