Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kintaro Ramen


I just went back to Samurai Noodle again for lunch.  This time I didn't order extra noodles and I walked out feeling a little bit unsatisfied.  I thought about the last time I had a really good bowl of ramen and it was back in July of 2010 in Vancouver, B.C.  We discovered Kintaro Ramen by accident from a friend who was visiting from Hawaii.  She and her husband was staying in downtown Vancouver and saw a long line at the restaurant near their hotel.  When we drove up to spend the day with them, they suggested we go there for lunch.

We went to Stanley Park and the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge in the morning and headed over to Kintaro for a quick bite. We thought we would be the first few people to get a table since we got there right when they opened.  Apparently, other people were thinking the same thing but were one step ahead of us.  Ramen fans were already lined up outside before the restaurant opened so we had to wait for about half an hour.  The restaurant was very small just like a typical ramen-ya.




It was a joy to watch the broth and noodles come together as the two guys behind the bar work as fast as they could to serve everyone that one thing they came for.  The waitress took our orders while we waited in line.  To order here, you select the type of ramen you like, decide on how rich you want your broth, and you have your choice of lean or fat pork.


I ordered the miso ramen with medium broth and lean pork.  It was simply delicious and the best I've had since my last slurp at Taishoken before they closed down.  I'm still heartbroken.


Look at all those noodles!  Good portion size too.  I can't wait to go back!  

1 comment: