Sunday, January 2, 2011

Helser's on Alberta


Happy New Year!  2011 is upon us.  Hope this year will be a great year filled with joy and laughter.   Oh, and more blogging.

What a lazy Sunday morning.  As I sit here in bed, all I can think of is.....breakfast food!  It's so versatile.  You can eat it morning, day, or night.  PDX have a lot of good options for breakfast.  Last year, my brother-in-law and his fiance visited Seattle in November and we took them down to Portland to watch the Blazers vs. Jazz.  We stayed overnight and went to eat at Helser's for brunch the following morning.

Of course, there was a waiting list when we arrived.  Total wait time was about 20 minutes which wasn't too bad.  They had free self serve coffee while we waited so no complaints there.


Since we pretty much studied the menu while waiting, we knew what we wanted to order as soon as we were seated.  I ordered the mushroom hash - crimini mushrooms, scallions, roasted garlic, onions and Yukon gold potato hash tossed with melted havarti cheese.   This could easily feed two!


My brother-in-law ordered the egg benedict with ham served with fresh fruits and yukon gold potatoes.


Both my BIL's fiance and my husband ordered the Scotch egg and potato pancakes.   Interestingly, Scotch egg is a hard boiled egg wrapped in bratwurst, lightly breaded, and fried.  The Scotch egg was our favorite.  The potato pancake, on the other hand, was not a big hit.

I would definitely go back to Helser's for some mushroom hash and Scotch eggs on the side to share next time.  Hubs said he'll attempt to make spicy Scotch eggs with chorizo at home.  I'm holding his word to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment