Thursday, January 21, 2010

Banana Bread

This past weekend, my mom gave me some bananas to take home since they had a lot. Apparently, my dad saw a sale and bought a box full of them. They were pretty ripe so I decided to let them sit a few more days to make banana bread. This is a foolproof recipe and the bread is incredibly moist. Except one time I mistook tapioca starch for baking soda and I was puzzled for days before I realized why my bread didn't rise. Funny story. Anyway, I love this recipe because no mixer is needed which means one less thing to wash! I substituted 1/2 cup sugar with brown sugar and added some walnuts to the recipe.



Banana Bread
Adapted from Simply Recipes

Ingredients:
3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted [optional]

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan and sprinkle walnuts on top. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

1 comment: