Monday, July 25, 2011

Honey Roasted Almonds


Lately we've been obsessing over almonds.  They are cholesterol-free and low in saturated fats and provide lots of fiber and protein to give you that "full" feeling and keep your energy up.  I even recommended this to my mom because she was complaining of feeling tired all the time.  I wonder if it's helping.

I like to buy raw almonds in bulk and roast it myself.  Saves money and you can control the amount of salt, sugar, or whatever ingredients you like to turn this into a heart healthy snack.  I found this recipe on cooks.com and it's super easy to make.

Roasted Honey Almonds

2 cups raw almonds
2 T honey
2 T water
2 T oil (I used canola)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake the almonds on a baking sheet lined with foil, for about 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally so they don't burn. Set aside and let cool.  In a small bowl, mix the sugar and salt together.  In a medium sized sauce pan, add honey, water and oil, mix and bring to a boil. Stir in the almonds until all of the liquid is absorbed. Transfer the nuts into a medium bowl and toss with the sugar mixture.  Spread back on to the aluminum lined baking sheet and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment