Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blueberry Cream Chese Scones



Blueberries remind me of my favorite scones from Diamond Head Market & Grill in Kapahulu.  I can finally savor these scones when I go back to Hawaii in less than three months!  In the meantime, I made some homemade version of these with the abundance of blueberries I've picked this summer. It was a sticky mess to make but it was well worth it. These are best eaten warm after they're baked. You can refrigerate the rest and reheat it in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Scones
Makes 8 scones

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
6 T cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces (I grated the butter)
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 oz. cream cheese, cut into little pieces

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in center. Combine butter, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and cut with a pastry blender or two butter knives until crumbly. In a separate bowl, stir egg and buttermilk until well combined. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, and stir in cream mixture until dough forms into ball. Gently fold in blueberries and cream cheese. Spoon mounds of dough onto ungreased baking sheet, and press lightly to flatten. Tuck in berries and cream cheese as much as possible. Bake until golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Transfer scones to wire racks to cool.

Adapted from here and there.

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum yum.. here I am eating plain ol Frosted mini wheats.. this looks way better than my breakfast!

    ReplyDelete