Sunday, April 17, 2011

Is Kale the New Spinach?


Remember the first time you had broccoli or spinach as a kid?  I don't know when or how it happened but at some point while growing up, I finally appreciate all the health benefits I reap from eating these leafy green plants.  I'm trying to eat my 5 a day as much as possible but rising food prices is making it hard to eat healthy these days.  My sister and I drove by this produce stand yesterday and I was so glad that we turned the car around to check it out.  I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw kale for
$0.89 a bunch, onions for $0.25/lb, and zucchini for $0.69/lb, just to name a few.  I was so happy to go home with a $6 bag full of fruits and vegetables!  It totally made my day.  

I've been hearing a lot of rave about kale these days and it really got me interested.  Of course, I can never buy them because they are expensive and rarely go on sale.  I was really excited when I brought the kale home and decided to cook them right away for dinner last night.  Now it's my turn to rave about it.  Did you know that kale is chock full of antioxidants, vitamins, and calcium compared to spinach? This is the meca of all superfoods!  This is how I hype up vegetables so my husband will eat them.

The vegetable itself is kind of tough and bitter so I've found out that you only eat the leafy part and discard the stems and center ribs.  They are often times sauteed or steamed and even baked into crispy kale chips.  I decided to sauté them with garlic and onions with some chili flakes and paprika seasoning.

Sautéed Kale with Garlic and Onions
Adapted from here and there

1 pound kale, tough stems and center ribs discarded and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt

Cook kale in salted boiling water for about 5-10 minutes, then drain.  Heat olive oil in skillet on medium high heat and sauté onions and garlic until tender.  Add red pepper flakes and paprika.  Stir in kale for a couple of minutes and add salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment